Sometimes, things aren’t perfect and miscommunication or other issues may arise. When this happens, we advise you to please not bottle it up and instead, take the following steps:
1. Talk with your REALTOR® to clarify your concern.
2. If that doesn’t work, take your concern to the managing broker of your REALTOR’s® office.
3. If you want to take the matter further, you’ll need to decide whether it’s a matter for your REALTOR’s® real estate board or for the BC Financial Services Authority (the regulatory body responsible for administering the Real Estate Services act)
REAL ESTATE BOARD
Real Estate Boards deal with complaints that involve their code of ethics, standards of business practice, and the Boards bylaws.
Examples of matters that boards investigate:
- Unethical behaviour
- Not treating all parties to a contract fairly
- Click here for a link to the REALTOR® Code of Ethics and Standards of Business Practice.
The Real Estate Board is not empowered to award or mediate monetary damages. Such matters are more properly dealt with through civil action. The Board can issue letters of warning, reprimands, suspend or cancel services or membership as well as assess fines, hearing costs or continuing education.
If your concern appears to be a matter for the Real Estate Board, please complete and submit the Complaint Form to:
Vancouver Island Real Estate Board, 6374 Metral Drive, Nanaimo, BC V9T 2L8
Phone: 250-390-4212Fax: 250-390-5014
BC FINANCIAL SERVICES AUTHORITY
mishandling of deposits
concealing property defects
unauthorized signing of documents
unwritten guarantees to resell a property used as an inducement to do business
professional misconduct including incompetence and conduct unbecoming of a licensee
Complete the BC Financial Services Authority Complaint Form.
Attach all documentation as specified.
Send to the BC Financial Services Authority.