VIREB is bound by the provisions of the provincial Personal Information Protection Act and the Society and its employees must comply with the requirements of the Act. In addition VIREB is a member of The Canadian Real Estate Association (CREA) and adheres to and abides by the principles set out in the CREA Privacy Code.
Person in Charge:
The Executive Officer is responsible for privacy compliance. Also titled the Privacy Compliance Officer, he ensures that:
• information protection policies are established and updated;
• sensitive information is protected and accessibility properly controlled;
• employees are educated as to the importance of information protection;
• privacy complaints are resolved efficiently with the goal of satisfying all individuals involved.
• All information requests will be directed to the Executive Officer, who will:
• meet informal requests with an invitation to view the relevant records in the VIREB office;
• meet formal requests with an offer of printouts and photocopies of the appropriate VIREB records;
• charge an administration fee to supply the information;
• direct the individual to the appropriate authorities if their concerns or complaint cannot be resolved internally. Collection, Use and Disclosure of Personal Information
• no personal information will be collected from an individual without first obtaining the consent of the individual to the collection, use and dissemination of that information;
• express consent (whether oral or written) will be obtained unless the information is not sensitive and where the individual can be reasonably assumed to have expected the information to be used or disclosed in this fashion;
• once information is collected, it will be used or disclosed only for the purposes for which the individual has given express or implied consent;
• to use personal information for some new purpose that extends beyond the consent already provided requires the express consent of the person.
With respect to Communications Department actions:
• VIREB does not sell its subscription lists;
• personal information from conference registration is used for administration and marketing purposes, but attendees are given the opportunity to opt out of inclusion on a delegate list distributed to attendees, exhibitors and sponsors;
• VIREB assumes the implicit consent of individuals in photographs taken at VIREB events to use the photographs in Association communications.
• You can access our web site home page and browse our site without disclosing your personal data.
• Our web site does not enable visitors to communicate with other visitors or to post information to be accessed by others. We encourage all “Links” from our web site to adopt their own privacy policies; however VIREB is not responsible or liable for their actions.
• We do not automatically log personal data nor does VIREB link information automatically logged by other means with personal data about specific individuals.
• We do not collect any personal data from our visitors when they use our web site.
• We strive to ensure our privacy policies remain compliant with the provincial Personal Information Protection Act (“PIPA”).
Privacy Compliance Officer
Bill Benoit, CAE, Executive Officer
The Vancouver Island Real Estate Board
6374 Metral D rive, Nanaimo, BC, V9T 2L8